It’s that time of year again where the weather, lack of moisture, and all the artifical heat is sucking the moisture right out of our skin.
I’ve compiled a few facts and some tricks to keep our face well hydrated during these dry winter months.
Our bodies are made of 55-60% water
When you feel thirsty you have already lost around 2-3% of your body water. Mental performance and physical coordination start to become impaired before thirst kicks in, typically around 1% dehydration.
If we don’t have enough water in our body, we starve our skin of moisture
While the surface layer/epidermis contains 30-40% moisture . Dehydrated skin has less than 10% moisture
Remember dehydrated skin is lacking moisture, so simply slathering on a thick cream is not the answer.
Even if you have acneic or oily skin you can still be dehydrated. Moisture is essential for desquamation, which is the process of shedding dead skin cells, so If you desire clear skin, free of acne, moisture is essential
What is Dehydrated Skin?
- Dehydrated skin is a skin condition lacking moisture, not oil
- It is temporary and easily treatable
- Dehydrated skin can appear flaky, red, scaly and rough , less supple, taunght and itchy
- Dehydration can lead to significant signs of premature aging & easily prone to wrinkles
Causes of Dehydrated Skin
- Harsh environmental factors like cold, wind, dry heat, sun, and pollutants
- Using the wrong skincare products for your skin type
- Stress, lack of sleep, smoking, poor nutrition, illness, and ongoing use of some medications
- Not drinking enough water
- Your age plays a major role in how well your skin stays hydrated
How to treat dehydrated skin
The key to treating dehydrated skin lies in replenishing moisture in your skin. Moisture is the key to keep collagen and elastin fibres lubricated, flexible, and elastic. Your Skin needs to be well hydrated to have younger looking skin.
- Cleanse your face with the OCM method, you will love the look and feel of your skin
- Apply products while your face is still damp
- Use a Hydrating toner that will help lock in the moisture
- Create an occlusive barrier on your skin to trap in moisture
Here are some of my all time favorite products to keep my skin well hydrated and younger looking.
- Rhonda Allison’s Growth Factor Serum Plus
- Image Vital C Hydrating Anti-Aging Serum
- Image The MAX creme
- Skin Scripts Cucumber Hydration Toner (this has HA)
- Herbal Infused Cream Therapy
- Nature’s Genesis Organic Cleansing Oil
My next blog I will talk about oils and the OCM method of cleaning and hydrating your skin. My ultimate favorite.
Make your day Beautiful